CEBRAP’s International interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Program (IPP) is aimed at doctors with a PhD in anthropology, political science, demography, law, economics, philosophy, history, and sociology, and whose research interests are aligned with topics studied in CEBRAP’s research center.
The program is meant to complement the training of doctors by providing them with an interdisciplinary experience, enabling them to tackle research topics beyond the boundaries of the fields in which they have been trained. The program also expects that an international group of doctors will allow for a comparative framework in researched topics. As a result, CEBRAP hopes to provide scholars with a broader view of the major issues in our contemporary societies.
The post-doctoral program began in 2016 and draws on a successful previous experience by CEBRAP, the Cadre Training Program (1986-2002), later changed into the Postdoctoral Program (2003-2007), in which 116 young researchers took part. The large number of program’s researchers having achieved prominent positions in Brazilian universities, and in various government levels, can attest to its success.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
The program will consist of a group of up to 15 doctors from different nationalities, graduated in Brazil or abroad.
The program lasts for one year, with a continuous 8-month stay at CEBRAP (August, 2018 – March, 2019) and a 3-month at a partner institution (April, 2019 – June, 2019). Foreign researchers will have the option of staying in Brazil during the whole period (see below for a description of partner institutions).
The post-doctoral program is grounded on research activity. Postdoctoral researchers will develop their project under the supervision of CEBRAP senior researchers (PHDs for over 10 years) while in Brazil and will become part of their research teams, choosing topics related to ongoing researches in the institution (see below for a list of available supervisors and topics). Partner institutions will also appoint a supervisor when receiving the program´s postdocs.
In addition to regular meetings with their supervisors, postdoctoral researchers will participate in three specific and regular activities:
- Research seminar, in which postdocs will successively present their initial project, partial results, and a final written product (article, book chapter, book). This seminar aims to follow the project development in its several stages: object definition, theoretical approach, research design, research strategies, partial and final results;
- Thematic seminars on topics of interest for the postdocs projects with the participation of CEBRAP researchers as well as national and international guests;
- Methodological workshops tailor-made to fit postdocs interests
- Final conference where the results of the IPP will be publicly presented.
Other obligations for postdocs include:
- Active participation in CEBRAP’s collective activities (seminars and debates) as well as in their affiliated research group;
- Submission for publication of an article or book at the end of the program;
- Presenting the article or book at the final IPP conference..
After the 8-months period at CEBRAP the researcher will be hosted by one of our partners institutions for 3 months without tuition fees. A supervisor to each post doc researcher will be appointed by the institution.
By presenting their final product (book or article) in the IPP conference at the end of the program, postdoctoral researchers will be evaluated by a committee comprised of 3 specialists in their research field, preferable one of them member of a partner institution.
Participants with a good performance will receive an achievement certificate.
OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF THE PROGRAM: English
- Application form;
- Research project;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Letter stating the reasons for your interest in the program;
- Article or paper, published or unpublished, that the candidate considers the best example of his/her academic production;
- PhD diploma (or equivalent);
- 2 (two) recommendation letters;
- Proof of English proficiency for fluent reading and speaking (TOEFL or equivalent). We also accept that the candidate proves his/her proficiency through international experience (through a separate statement and description).
- Updated personal profile in the website academia.edu
Documents should be sent to the email email@example.com, until April 3rd, 2018.
US$30.00, paid through bank deposit or PayPal.
Bank transfers should be sent to:
Banco do Brasil
Centro Brasileiro de Análise e Planejamento
Please send the transfer proof to firstname.lastname@example.org
Class: up to 15 doctors per year
Partner institutions’ candidates will be selected by them – up to 2 postdocs per year per institution.
All other candidates will submit to the following procedures:
First phase (until March 19th, 2018): evaluation of the submitted documentation and research project evaluation;
Second phase (until April 2nd, 2018): personal or skype interview with the potential supervisor.
Results will be announced up to April 2nd, 2018 at the CEBRAP website. Approved postdoctoral researchers will receive a formal acceptance letter.
Deadline for enrollment fee: May 15th, 2018.
Program starts on August 6th, 2018.
The program will be funded by CEBRAP and there will be no monthly charges to postdoctoral researchers. The sole requirement is that postdocs pay the inscription fee and the enrollment fee of US$300.00. No enrollment fee will be required from candidates of partner institutions.
Funding for postdocs living abroad should be done through their own resources, through their institutions of origin, or through international funding institutions with official support from CEBRAP.
Postdoctoral researchers living in Brazil, whether Brazilian or foreign, may resort to their own resources or apply for a FAPESP scholarship, with official support from CEBRAP and the their supervisor.
Postdoctoral researchers funded by FAPESP (or other funding institution) must meet the rules and requirements of the funding institution as well as the program’s norms.
Freie Universität Berlin (Germany)
Käte Hamburger Kolleg/
Institute for Development and Peace (University Duisburg Essen, Germany)
Princeton University (EUA)
University of Bath (UK)
CRBC/Mondes américains – EHESS
U Cambridge – Institute for Latin American Studies (UK)
Institute of Development Studies –IDS (UK)